Welcome to the blog of author Marlo Schalesky!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Got Worries? Read This!


Hi Friends,

Well, the funniest thing happened to me today.  This week Jordyn has decided no more spoon feeding for her - she will feed herself, thank you very much, and wants nothing to do with the nice ground up, healthy, food that mommy prepares.  And that means three Cheerios and two sips of milk is enough.  It is apparently all she needs.  Alas!  

So yesterday, there I was with her lovely fruit-and-chicken-breakfast filled spoon all ready for her as she pushed the spoon away, clamped her lips shut, and refused a single bite.  Ditto for this morning.  I begged, I pleaded, I cried ... I worried.  She's a tiny little thing anyway, how will she survive this new turn of events??!!

Then, I happened upon this devotion that I wrote over ten years ago when Bethany was just Jordyn's age.  Hmmm ... I think God is trying to tell me something.  

And maybe he'll use this old devotion to tell you something too -- maybe not about feeding a baby, but perhaps there's something that's worrying you.  If so, read on . . .


…do not worry about tomorrow. (Matthew 6:34)
I PUSHED THE CUP CLOSER to my one-year-old daughter and looked her in the eye. “Come on, sweetheart, you’ve got to eat something!” She glared at me, then answered, “Waaaaa!!” A moment later, she picked up the zippy cup and threw it on the floor. I put my head in my hands and fought back the tears. 
That’s how my husband found me. “What’s wrong?” he asked. 
“Sh-she won’t eat, so she’s going to get dehydrated, and we’ll have to take her to the hospital, and she’ll d-d-die…” my voice trailed off in sob.
“You think that because she’s refused her bottle today she’s going to drop dead tomorrow?”
I sniffed and didn’t answer. It sounded ridiculous when he said it that way, but really, that was what I was afraid of . . . what might happen tomorrow.
You see, I’m an expert worrier. I can take today’s small troubles and project them so far into the future that they become huge disasters. And as my fears loom large, I find it much more difficult to trust God. His care and His love are hard to see out there in my fuzzy tomorrows. 
But Christ tells me to not even project my worries a single day into the future. I need only concern myself with today’s troubles, rather than all the disasters that may never be. And in my “today,” it’s much easier to see His love.  Even when the baby throws her sippy cup across the room.

0 comments: