Welcome to the blog of author Marlo Schalesky!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lessons from Preschool


Hi Friends,

Well, Jayden had his very first day of school at Northminster Preschool, 3's class.  He loved it!  Though it seems like just yesterday when he was running around in diapers and onesies.  And now he's a "big boy"going off to school for the first time.  How did that happened??  How did he grow from a toddler in Pampers to the young man making his way over to the Lego table all by himself?

As I think about it, I realize he's grown day by day, hour by hour, with a lot of instruction, a lot of discipline, and a lot of meals.  And some of it he hasn’t liked one bit.

Here's some examples:  He wanted to hit his sisters when they took his toys.  We taught him he couldn’t hit.  He wanted to go to church in just a diaper.  We told him he had to keep his pants on.  He didn’t want to eat healthy food.  We gave it to him anyway.  He “no like” going to bed.  We tucked him in and turned out the light all the same.  And he especially didn’t like to use the potty chair.  Going in the diaper was just so much easier.  But we kept at it until he was able to keep his big-boy pants dry all day and all night.

We did it because we knew he couldn’t stay a baby forever.  We knew this day would come, when he’d be going to school where you couldn’t hit, you couldn’t grab, you had to keep your pants on and your underwear dry.  Now, after a lot of work, he was ready.

And he was happy!

Which makes me wonder ... if I use things Jayden doesn't like to get him ready for the adventure of preschool, is God also using things I don’t like in my life to discipline me too, to train me for a new adventure that I don’t yet know about?  Are the things that don’t taste so sweet making me strong?  Are the lessons that seemed so hard preparing me for my “first day of preschool” where diapers aren’t allowed?

I'm reminded of Hebrews 12:5b-6 (NIV):  “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves...”

Even though I prefer the easy life, even though I would rather swallow only things that I enjoy and get my own way, God knows that I have to grow up.  So he trains me, disciplines me, shows me how to grow, so that when I walk into a new classroom, I can straighten my shoulders, grip his hand in mine, and say with a voice that may tremble just a little, “Yes, I’m ready.”

So, what did I learn from Jayden's first day of preschool?   I learned that I wanted to be like him.  I wanted to be a “big girl” who could bravely go into new situations and do what’s right.  I wanted to be the type of kid who holds God’s hand, even when I’m shaking, and walks forward.  I wanted to be ready to run and play, sing and hear stories.  I want to be prepared ... and happy ...  in every new adventure with God!

0 comments: