Welcome to the blog of author Marlo Schalesky!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

3 Things I Learned from Riding

Hi Friends,

After nearly 9 months, yesterday I was finally able to ride my horse again ... yay! It felt great to get back in the saddle and lope around (and even do a bit of jumping and practicing barrel racing). With being pregnant, and then having new baby here, I can't remember the last time I did something fun for me ... until yesterday. So, even though it was a short ride in a wet arena, squeezed in before the rains came in last night, I'm happy!

So, here are some things I learned for life from my ride:

1) Today is a gift - receive it, "open" it, enjoy it. Don't let worries about the rains coming in tomorrow, or regrets about yesterday, hold you back. Don't be afraid - live every moment in the joy and grace that God gives you. Accept God's gifts for you today, and live in them fully!

2) Don't stare at the obstacle you're going over or around. Instead, keep your eyes up. If you look at the jump as you're going over it, or fix your eyes on the barrel as your going around it, the horse will knock it over. You have to look up as you jump, keep your eyes up and look to the next barrel as you turn. So, keep looking up to God as you encounter obstacles in life - look toward what He's doing in you (perfecting you, making you more like Jesus) and His promises of peace, help, comfort, love, and don't get fixated on the problem you're encountering. Remember what Paul says - "But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13-14 NIV)

3) If you can, share your fun with someone you love. Laugh together, enjoy one another. Bethany rode with me yesterday, and it was a great time to talk and enjoy one another as well as the horses. So today, remember to take some time to enjoy the ones you love.

And finally, in honor of my horse, Jewel, who was such a good girl for me yesterday during our ride, I'm reposting the the video I did for Shades of Morning with her. Enjoy!


0 comments: