Welcome to the blog of author Marlo Schalesky!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

God's Plans . . . Not Mine

Hi Friends,

I just got back from Mount Hermon Christian Writers conference near Scotts Valley, California. What a rich, wonderful time of being with God, friends, and other writers! As usual, I stayed up late in Central Lounge laughing at the stories told by long-time friends like Steve Laube (my agent), John Olson, Randy Ingermanson, Tracy Higley (my roommate for the conference - fun!), Lynne Thompson, Meredith Efken, Mary Hampton, and others. And new friends like Tosca Lee and Rick Acker. The seminars were fantastic, the weather mostly sunny, and the food yummy.

Now I am both exhausted and refreshed. :-) So, no story with a scriptural point from me today, but I did want to share a thought that was meaningful to me over the time of the conference. Here it is:

A recurring scripture for me (both in life and this past weekend) is Ephesians 2:10, which when translated from the Greek reads something like: For we are His masterpiece, having been created in Christi Jesus for good works which God before-prepared, that in them we may walk.

What I love about this verse is both the idea that God has already PREPARED (not just "assigned") the good works for us but also that we're not just to do them, but walk in them. The Greek there for "walk" literally says "walk around." So, there's the feel not of a good works to-do list, but these good things that God has prepared for us to walk around in, to live in, experience and become.

For me that is a huge encouragement. I don't need to force my own plans into my life. I don't need to compare my success with others. I don't need to fret because things don't work out the way I want them to. God has prepared the good works for me. They are a gift, not a task. Now, I may walk around in them. I have a chance to live them.

I just need to walk. That's all. God says to me "This is the way, walk ye in it." (Isaiah 30:21) So, I just need to go forward, love Him, and be looking for ways to love others, ways that He has already prepared for.

That's the wonder of my walk, your walk, with a VIVID God.

(P.S. I've got some news coming out on my newsletter soon, so make sure you're signed up -- go to my website homepage - see button above - and enter your email address in the box on the right column! And please feel free to tell anyone else who might be interested about the newsletter too!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your take on Eph. 2:10. I've always looked at it as a "good works to-do list" and felt overwhelmed. Thanks for your insight.

Marcus Goodyear said...

I love that verse too. You know the greek word for workmanship is poiema. Great work. Our word for poetry is related to it, I think. We are God's poem. God's Poetry and Literature. It's a good thought.