Welcome to the blog of author Marlo Schalesky!

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Blooming in the Hard Places of Life

Hi Friends,

Today, I wanted to share some thoughts about blooming in the hard places of life. On my birthday a couple weeks ago, our sweet Jenny donkey, who was very old, laid down in the pasture to die. We were able to gather around her and ease her passing, saying our goodbyes. It wasn't the birthday gift I was hoping for. Instead it was hard and sad and it hurt.

Other hard things happened that day as well, and what had started as a day to celebrate became a day to mourn.

Later that day we went to one of my favorite restaurants (The Whole Enchilada, for you locals!). And there growing in the cracks of the sidewalk was this tiny, beautiful, johnny-jump-up. I love these flowers and there it was, a tiny reminder from God that beauty can still grow in hard places. And I can still blossom and bring beauty to the world around me, too, in the dry, dreary, difficult, and unyielding places of life.

I saw too that there are always cracks where God's love and care come through to nourish me. In all situations, on all days, there is hope. There is life. There is the love and wonder of God.

So, I snapped a quick picture - it's the picture you see above. May it be a reminder to you, and to me, that there is no barrier too great for the love of God to push through, so even in the most difficult situations, I can blossom with his beauty.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

That would be a good name for a book.
I have found that God watches over us and in our difficult times
He is there.
Thank you for the picture.

Marlo Schalesky said...

Thank you, Rosemary. Amen!