Welcome to the blog of author Marlo Schalesky!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Freedom for the 4th of July


Hi Friends,

Happy 4th of July!  Independence Day reminds me how freedom comes through sacrifice, and how that sacrifice results in celebration and joy.  It’s true for America on the 4th, and it’s true for all of us when we remember Jesus and the freedom he won for us on the cross.

So today, I rejoice in true freedom, remembering:

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. --Galatians 5:1

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.  --2 Corinthians 3:17

... the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.  --Romans 8:21

And in response to this freedom ...

A PRAYER . . . 

Lord, I want to learn to dance
The dance of Israel's king.
I want to learn to sing the Psalms
With melodies of joy.
I want to learn to dream the dreams
Dreamt in prophet's night.
I want to learn to see the throne
As Isaiah saw that day.
Teach me, Lord, how to live
This life of Love in Christ.


AND A POEM . . .

Glory.
His glory flames
Through my soul,
Illuminates my night,
The blazing dawn of glory
Of God who is my light.
Glory.
His glory like the fiery sun
Sears my soul with joy.
My vision fills with wonder
No fear may dare destroy.
Glory.

0 comments: