Welcome to the blog of author Marlo Schalesky!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Finding Peace in the Rush

Hi Friends,

Well, it's been a busy week around here. On Sunday, Bethany left for Hume Lake for church camp (our first one off to camp for a week!). On Monday we went to Lockwood (about two hours away) to pick up a new horse for a one-week trial. On Tuesday, we had a lunch meeting for a new ministry (yay!) at church, plus lots of arena time trying out Frenchie (the new horse). Yesterday was the Bean's (aka baby Jordyn) 6 month doctor appointment, a blood test for me, and a long and fruitless trip to Dublin (another almost 2-hour away trip) to see a used car that wasn't even there (ack! waste of time!). And today's another medical test for me, more trying the horse time, rodeo, and hopefully catching up on exciting things like laundry and dishes. Tomorrow's more horse, etc., and Saturday mutton busting for Jayna at the big rodeo.

All that to say, I'm feeling a bit stressed in all the rush. So, the question is, how can I live in the peace God promises and provides in the rush of everyday life? Here are some thoughts:

1) Walk with God. That means instead of rushing from one thing to the next, slow down and realize that God is with me (and you!) every step of the way.

2) Don't lead. Follow! Take several moments during the day to settle my mind and make sure I am following God's lead instead of simply rushing off to do what I think needs to be done. Just because something should be done or needs to be done doesn't mean that God is asking me to do it right this minute.

3) Look and really see. Be aware of how God is working around me. Look and see others. Smile. Recognize the beauty God has placed around me. Pausing in wonder at how amazing God is and what He's doing and has done only takes a moment, yet it refreshing the soul in huge ways.

4) Enjoy. God gives many small yet wonferful moments to enjoy each day. Don't miss them. Savor them!

5) Stop long enough to be thankful. Sometimes I just need to pause, take a deep breath, and thank God for the things that have caused the rush: kids, horses, cars, clothes, email from friends, food, dishes, books, opportunities to serve, doctors and tests, kidneys ... all are BLESSINGS. Remembering to be thankful replaces panic with peace!

What are some things you do to find peace in the rush of life??


0 comments: